guest house

Do I Need a Crib 5 Bed in My Guest House?

If you’re new to the accommodation business, you may have come across the terms Crib 5 or Source 5 and asked yourself, "What does this mean?!".

In short, Crib 5 and Source 5 mean the same thing, and they apply to UK fire regulations.

Do I Need Crib 5/Source 5 furniture in my Guest House?

The crux of the matter is that if you own or run any kind of hotel or guest accommodation business, by law you’ll need to provide a contract bed or mattress. The term ‘contract furniture’ refers to furniture – including beds and mattresses – that conform to the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988. Previously, this was under British Standard (BS) 7177 1996, which has since been succeeded by BS 7177 2008.

This British Standard is broken into individual tests; BS EN597/1 (Cigarette) and BS EN597/2 (Match), with contract furniture having to comply with and pass BS 6807 (Flame Retardant). BS 6807 is also known as the ‘Crib 5’ or ‘Source 5’ test.

The supplementary standard does not guarantee that the contract furniture is entirely fireproof, but dramatically reduces the risk of ignition. Compliance with Crib 5 ignition tests is indicated by the furniture manufacturer via a blue information label and serves as a guarantee.

For more detailed information, visit our Contract Bed Regulations page.

Buying Contract Furniture

All mattresses and beds supplied by us at HotelContractBeds are certified Crib 5, meaning our customers can have peace of mind that all contract furniture purchased from us complies with the relevant fire safety legislation. Talk to our friendly and experienced team for more information.